Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A brief interview with Maggie Horan and Martha Johnson who are appearing in Barksdale's Legacy of Light

Maggie Horan
1. Tell us about your role and how the rehearsal process is different (or similar) for you as compared to productions you've worked on in the past.
Maggie: I am playing Pauline who is the young and naive fifteen year old daughter of Emilie du Chatelet. This rehearsal process has been a great learning experience for me because it is the first period piece I have ever done (taking place in the 1700s). 

Martha: I play Millie. She is a young adult hoping to relieve her and her brother from financial debt by serving as a surrogate mother for a couple she meets. The rehearsal process for the show so far has been short and sweet. I appreciate how much is left up for the actors to decide, a kind of responsibility and accountability is laid upon us and it is very refreshing to be treated in a professional manner.



2. What is it like to be working alongside both fellow students as well as community actors?
Maggie: I really enjoy working with both the VCU students and the professional actors. I have learned so much from just sitting and watching the non-VCU actors and I am inspired by them to keep doing what I'm doing. I have also really enjoyed working with the VCU students because they are all just as inspiring to me because of their passion and dedication to their work.

Martha:  I have never been cast with my peers and I had not met  met the other actors in the production until we started rehearsal. I have been able to take the opportunity to observe how more experienced actors work, and attempt to follow in suit. This production is helping me to see what professionalism is, and what steps I must take everyday in rehearsal to work towards that. The cast has been warm and welcoming, it has been a lovely time.


3. Please go into detail on what Legacy of Light means to you. What would you consider to be the soul of the play?
 Maggie:I cannot really answer this question at the moment because I feel that I am still looking for the appropriate answer. I feel that there are many different meanings and themes to the play that everyone will (and should) interpret differently.

Martha:  This show has a myriad of themes interwoven into it. Spirtuality, women's roles, creation, intelligence, intimacy. This show has a lot of heart. I am learning everyday what this show stands for. Karem Zacharias had a clear vision, and it becomes revealed to me more and more as we go along.


4. Describe Bruce Miller's process as a director. What is it like working with him? 
Maggie: I really enjoyed working with Bruce Miller as a director. He has such an amazing eye for directing and he is so passionate about what he does. He trusts his actors and is always very clear on what he is looking for in a scene. He also keeps a positive outlook on the show which makes the experience a lot more enjoyable. 

Martha: Bruce is one of the most knowledgable directors I have worked with. He is able to think and speak clearly and quickly, which is wonderful for the actor. I have never been challenged the way Bruce has challenged me before. I am very appreciative of this. He speaks so relatably and sets examples that feel so familair, that the actor does not have much left to do but merely follow. It's been a pleasure to work with him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment