Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What's not to be thankful for?

Well here we are. November is well upon us and the official start of Winter is less than a month away. As the weather turns colder and the days get shorter, it's easy to fall into the cycle of the daily grind, working and pushing against the heavy barriers of our lives without any respite. We end up trudging through the day-by-day, focusing on petty challenges and taking little or no time at all to consider ourselves and how lucky each of us really is. As we reach another holiday season, it's important to step back and remember what exactly it is your we are thankful for.



With that sentiment in mind, I sent out a request to my fellow seniors (and one or two faculty), asking them what it is they are thankful for this holiday season.



Here are just some of the responses:



“Thankful to be Alive; Thankful to be involved in Theatre; Thankful that Theatre IS my Life.”

Jim Thompson



“This holiday season I'm thankful for the health of my family and friends. I'm thankful for my art and that everyday I have another chance to grow in it. I'm thankful that no matter where I am, be it VCU or with my family- I feel as if I'm at home. And of course there's much more but these are definitely the most important. “

Crystal Johnson




“I am thankful for a senior class that works hard, cares about doing a good job and is easy to get along with.”

Lorri Lindberg




“I'm not even sure I could find the words to describe how truly blessed I feel. I have a wonderful, supportive, stable family who encourages me in everything that I do. I've somehow managed to surround myself with friends who are more like family than anything else, who provide me with all the emotional support I could ever hope for, and I have a new-found love for this profession that I've chosen. I am healthy, well-fed, and firmly ensconced in a city that I adore. I try everyday to find a time to give thanks for all these gifts I've been given, and to thank the people who enrich my life. Thank you.”

Claire Biggers




“I am thankful for waking up every morning, the support group at TheatreVCU, our training, my family and friends, the colorful fall leaves, smiles from passersby, and God's many blessings.”

Walid Chaya



"I'm thankful to be working with people who live their lives with passion and commitment. There is never a dull day at Theatre VCU.... gosh... I guess I did run off and join the circus!"

The Bloginator



“I am thankful and blessed for my family, my sisters who stick by me no matter what, my love! and the greatest opportunity to do what I love!”

Ashley Davis



“I am grateful for the opportunity to attend a school that presents me a variety of opportunities and to be able to obtain a valuable degree doing what I love to do! May 21, 2011 here we come!!”

Shatera Hillyer



Personally, I am eternally thankful for, simply put, being alive. I am so grateful to have incredibly supportive family and friends, who keep me out of harm's way and ensure I create the best work I can possibly make. There's nothing like having the best support system on earth constantly on-call, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.



I would be lying if I said these past few months haven't been especially challenging (and occasionally disappointing) for me. In my time at VCU, I've learned a huge amount about the nature of my fellow man and it's worth noting, things never turn out exactly as you imagined they would. There will always be people in the world who want nothing more than to make a cheap buck and will attack anyone who stands in their way. What will separate you from the beasts, however, is that you stand up for what you believe in at all costs. Petty and pathetic ego battles always exist in life but if your moral compass is strong, you will prevail.



I speak not of creed or specific doctrine but merely an unspoken bond that we as true artists carry with us wherever we go. I am blessed, so incredibly blessed, to be surrounded by colleagues who follow these standards. It saddens me that in a few short months, many of us will part ways and start our careers. What brightens this vision, however, is the fact that we will all do so with incredible gusto and that the bond we created during our time here will never once wane. So with all that in mind, I once more thank my friends, without whom I would be nothing.



My best to you and yours,

Tommy Callan

Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment