Friday, October 8, 2010

"The fine line between fun & work..."

We  followed (read: harassed) the very busy Anna Kurtz around the theatre department this week begging for a quick five minute interview about her experiences as Barry Bell's Assistant Director on Dead Man's Cell Phone. One thing led to another, and we got much more than we bargained for. Grad students are busy people, (Miss Kurtz is among the busiest), and frankly, we would of been satisfied with just a couple of honest observations. But ask Anna a question and you will always be served large helpings of wisdom, enthusiasm, and some delightful insights from this actor/director/pedagogical theatre grad student.

Thank you Anna for being our first Backstage Pass interview:

How was it working Barry Bell and the cast?

Amazing! I was Barry’s T.A. for Acting 1 last year so I knew he would establish a rehearsal environment that balanced the fine line between fun and work…taking the rehearsal seriously but allowing time for discovery and play, which was exactly what happened. The actors brought an incredible amount to the table those first days of rehearsal; I remember thinking how far along they already were, but they continued to try new things and grow in their characters. It was a long rehearsal process but everyone rose to the challenge; they did not succumb to the sometimes problem of peaking too early or letting rehearsals get stale. Also, Barry was extremely gracious in letting me work with the actors and share my opinion. I felt greatly invested in this project and was able to learn a lot in regards to collaboration, the production process, and myself as a director.



What were some challenges working on Dead Man’s Cell Phone?

I think most people will agree that this script is a bit bizarre. The greatest challenge was dealing with some of the more strange moments…as a company finding the meaning in those moments and working them into our vision of the show.  It’s also difficult in any show that incorporates humor, keeping those moments alive in rehearsal…wondering how an audience will react.



How has the audience response been on the show? Has it changed night to night or stayed relatively consistent?

I think the biggest contrast has been between the Thursday night VCU Theatre student opening and the Friday night general public opening. The Thursday night crowd had a great personal investment in the show; their friends and peers were on stage- it’s an incredible support system in which the energy permeates the theater. Plus, “theatre people” know it is ok to laugh and enjoy themselves during a live production; the students and faculty had no qualms about vocally reacting to the show. Sometimes the general public is more reserved in their reactions to a show. That happened Friday night; they were most definitely engrossed in and enjoying the show, but the energy, the reactions were diminished from the night before. However, audience reaction has been positive on each night in not vocally expressive.



What are your future projects?

I am currently directing Apartment 3A by Jeff Daniels with an incredible cast (Caitlin Carbone, Josh Marin, Austin Seay, Tyler Weaver, and Mauricio Marces), which will open in the Newdick Theatre October 29. I will also hopefully be co-directing a modern adaptation of Henry V with Kerry McGee in the spring; it will be a project that combines the efforts of several graduate students including the military expertise of Ted Carter. Planning for this project has already been an extremely rewarding collaboration.



How has time management played a part in your time here at TheatreVCU?


I have always been diligent in my school work, ever since high school. However, this semester has really stretched me; I feel I have not dealt with real time management issues until now. With classes I am taking and teaching, directing projects, work, my thesis, and planning for my future beyond VCU things have been slightly crazy making time management a must, especially if I want to have some free time for myself- which is something I strive to give myself (especially now that I have discovered the glory of Netflix). The most helpful thing I have done for myself is plan thesis research hours into my weekly schedule as if it were a class; without this planned time I do not think I would actually work on it.

What is some advice you can give to budding students of VCU?

Wow, this is a big question. There is so much for them to experience in regards to life and theatre. I guess my biggest advice would be this: allow yourself time to have life experiences. Sometimes we get bogged down by trying to have the right preparatory and professional experiences, but give yourself time to grow in other ways; study abroad, branch out beyond theatre. And never think that your general education requirements are pointless; challenge yourself to assimilate what you learn in those courses with what you experience in the theatre classroom and on stage.

Wise words Miss Kurtz!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to ignore the typo in the first paragraph and simply say...a HUGE thank you to Anna Kurtz. You are a phenomenal student, director, and teacher-in-training. Even bigger thanks for reminding students that general education courses have meaning (thus speaks the advisor!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise words Ms. Kurtz! I second the appreciation of the general education course value statement. I'm not an advisor or college professor, but as a teacher and former theatre student, I wholeheartedly agree with the statement. So much of life is a wonderful learning experience, and to truly excel, one must broaden her horizons in any way possible.

    ReplyDelete