Saturday, October 30, 2010

Overheard at VTA

"You're on the top of my college list."



I've wanted to come to VCU since I was ten."


"Everybody I called back showed up. At 7:15 there were still eight performers waiting to meet with me. I decided to meet all eight together and after I finished describing the Senior Showcase opportunities it was as though they all became VCU cheerleaders! They were so excited! - Lorri Lindberg


"These renderings are AMAZING!


"You can only take a Baby Ruth if you take a brochure."


"I like to spend my summers focusing lights on productions that I want to light."
"You're obseessedwith lighting."
(big sigh) Yes. Yes I am." (sigh)


" See you next week at the Open House! I just registered - I hope I'm not too late!!!!"


"Lou's Lighting Workshop was amazing. It was as if he was able to condense the entire Intro to Lighting class into a 45 minute master workshop. I learned so many solutions to my lighting problems at our high school. Be sure to thank him."


"Hi, my name is -----. my name is on the callback list.  VCU is the only school I want to go to."


Also heard at VTA:


"Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

"I'm only here to get more friends on Facebook."


" I want to go to VCU so that I can get to NYC in a New York minute."


If you get a chance please say a big thankyou to all the hard-working participants:

Neno Russell, who tirelessly critiqued portfolios and advised young designers.

Lorri Lindberg, who spent many hours on Fri. & Sat. sitting through endless high school auditions, and then stayed late both evenings meeting with each and every call-back (and quite a few non-call-backs who still aspire to join the  Theatre VCU family).

Barry Bell, who was led from production to production from 8am to 8pm for two days, judging the hard work of high school theatre departments from across the state. He witnessed the good, the bad, and the inspired, and survived to tell the tale and make the call.

Lou Szari, the great champion of high school drama teachers throughout the state of Virginia.
Our grad students whose workshops inspired gangs of high schoolers who then came to our table spilling over with enthusiasm.

And of course the VCU students who help us out all weekend. Thank you Thomas Bell for herding cats Friday night. Thank you Lucian and Tommy for the soup. And Walid, your energy is memorable!


Theatre VCU performers - please let this blogger know how you did at your SETC auditions - will we
see  you in Atlanta this March?

And all you high school dramatists - keep in touch. Let us know about your productions, and your college aspirations and remember, SHHHHHHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment