Friday, October 15, 2010

More Amazing Theatre VCU Alumni News!

This is what Dallas Tolentino has to say:
    The Advent of an Artist

Dear VCU Friends and Faculty,

Just dropping in a little update, while I have the chance. Since graduation, life has been a rocket at full speed and I have embarked upon the advent of my career. In the middle of summer I auditioned for Synetic Theatre in Washington D.C. and it was a blast. I was grouped with an incredibly diverse mix of artists from all different backgrounds, languages and cultures, but who all shared a common love for creation, collaboration, and movement. I was called back for the arduous two week training period, which was much like an actor boot camp. Our days were busy testing our capabilities in mime, ballet, martial arts, stage combat, modern dance, Grotowski and Bogart exercises, improvisation, and gymnastics.

The nights would end parting ways with a great fellowship of artists altogether drenched in sweat and ready to wake up the next morning sore and ready to do it all again. The training room was filled with a visceral passion to work. At the end of the two weeks, after being observed by The core company members, Paata Tsikurishvili & Irina Tsikurishvili (The Director, choreographer, and together founders of the company), and other Directors of the company, they selected a few members for the Season of King Arthur, The Master and Margarita, Don Quixote, and King Lear. I received an E-mail as the night I got back to Richmond from D.C. offering me roles in both King Arthur and King Lear. This is the Company's 10th Anniversary season and they just bought a space from Arena Stage which is our permanent home now in Crystal City. King Arthur opened October 2nd and runs through October 31st, with and extension through November 11th.

This rehearsal process has been a challenging and remarkable journey of creating original work grounded in physicality and movement. The show takes place on a stage covered in a shallow pool of water. The trailer for the show should be out soon and I'll be sure to send that your way. The reviews in Washington Post and other D.C. Theatre scene articles have been great. I have been asked to be in the Children's Theatre production of the Nutcracker which will go up around November/December before I begin rehearsals for King Lear in the Spring. I plan on working with this Company for a while, as I have been embraced by a family of artists who share in my passion for acting, moving, and creating. They are beginning a touring company next Season and I plan on working my ass off to be a part of that. This is my beginning and I am on an extraordinary ride. Thanks to the VCU faculty, class of 2010, and the wonderful program of Theatre VCU, I am in full speed pursuit of my dreams.

Thank you for sharing your time, energy, and insight over the past four years,
--
- Dallas Tolentino

See him here:
http://vimeo.com/15552115


Here are some links to reviews and pics of the show:


http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lifestyle/Synetic-presents-a-bold-dynamic-take-on-King-Arthur-104313293.html


http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-arts/2010/10/scorched-king-arthur-and-borf-maura-judkis-picks-for-oct-4-10-2613.html


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/04/AR2010100406926.html



No comments:

Post a Comment